Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Birthday

This birthday I wanted to do something different.
I usually ask my children not to get me anything, as I don't really need anything.
They would draw cards or make things for me, but this year I wanted some thing more meaningful, so Sunday night we watched this video.


After the video a discussion ensued regarding; what the boys did? why the boys did it? and how they felt after they did it.

I informed them that this birthday, for their gift to me I wanted them to find someone and help them this week. It is a work in progress but tonight a few already shared some neat moments.

Tank- Said at school there were some boys teasing another boy their age. Caleb said he remembered what we had talked about so he stopped and told the teasers to stop or he would go get the recess monitor. The teasing stopped and he went on his way. Today a similar experience occurred.

Queen- Shared that when she was on her way to the student council meeting she saw a girl that was being made fun of, and had been for some time as she was new to the school. She decided that it was more important to help this girl than attend the meeting and so she and another, went and told the offending teasers to back down then spent time talking with and comforting the girl, afterward taking her to talk to a teacher.

Two small instances. That affected the lives a a few children, but it is a beginning.

I think for that reason, this has been a great birthday, my children are looking for opportunities to serve those around them.

I really don't think there is anything much better they can do with their time. They are examples to me, and I am grateful for them.

2 comments:

gantrieb said...

that is really sweet. see, you do know something about parenting. good job for your kids!

Laura and Guthrie said...

This is so neat! What an amazing lesson!I love it!

blogger templates | Make Money Online