Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Do snowshoes really work?

Due to the fact that my family snow shoes quite often, (and perhaps because of my larger-than-average-perhaps-I-should-be-on-the Biggest Loser-size), people commonly ask if snowshoes really work.

Yes they do...here is some proof.
Keep in mind the video is low quality, but you get the point (it was taken by an older version of the waterproof, droproof, olympus camera)


First the Location. Julie Andrews Meadow, about 2.5 miles up from the Bear canyon trail head, much less traveled than the pine hollow freeway trail, steeper(2,000 feet in 2.5 miles), but much less raveled.



Second, the snow depth; Guthrie dug down until he hit dirt at around six feet. The next two are the test. One without one snowshoe, the other with both.


Without one Snow shoe.


With two Snowshoes.

Conclusion, yeah they work.

Fun? You bet.

Hard work? Breaking trail is one of the hardest workouts I have ever done.

Don't believe me? Come try it, you will probably love it as much as we do, just please don't tell everyone about this trail (Big smiley face emoticon).

1 comments:

gantrieb said...

That is so funny! I love the one with one snow shoe on and one off! The kids kept making me turn it on so they could watch it again. Thanks for the good laugh

blogger templates | Make Money Online