Friday, April 22, 2011

Locked in the bathroom...

The need has risen for some posts labeled, "fun with kids". These posts may or not represent the true meaning, if there is one, of "fun", but with a large family that word has an equally large meaning...

Let me illustrate....

Last night I was downstairs learning PhotoShop and some html editing, while all of the children, mostly of whom are sick, (three bronchitis, one pneumonia, one severe rash (no idea), two bad coughs) were upstairs watching one of the Harry Potters for what must have been the 100th time. Dawn was gone, so it was just us.

All is quiet...then about 8:30 we gather for scriptures and prayer...it goes like this.

Me- Where is youngest daughter *not real name*?

2 youngest girl  - Locked in the bathroom. (it locks from the inside)

Me- why?

2nd youngest girl -She took off her diaper and spread poo all over his bed (pointing to youngest *5* brother). She doesn't want to get punished so she locked herself in the bathroom.(she's four)

Me- What? Let's go clean it up.

Youngest son- *remember 5* I already did, its in the washer. (And it was, someone must have helped him) *I love, love, love independent children but those are different stories*

Me- I'm going to go clean her up. ( youngest girl was out by now)

2nd youngest daughter *7*- Can I ?

Me- No I want to do it! *Are you kidding, sure you can*

And she did...a very good job...bath and all.

This all happened in 1/2 hour.

Did I mention we have a huge 55 gallon plastic container full of cockroaches? Ah Yes, we are breeding them to feed the two bearded dragons.

See what I mean...FUN, and it really is, I wouldn't change any of it for the world.

Just a few months ago when we moved, I ran to the store to grab a few things and arrived home to see a cop on our doorstep.

He had our youngest *4*.

She accidentally let the dog out, and decided to Chase him, without telling any one. He found her a mile away, chasing our stupid cheagle. *fat half Chihuahua and half eagle*. But even more remarkable, she led the office back to our house. He was amazed.

Mmmm....

Bad parenting...maybe...no probably. But  I don't know any perfect parents. I think we all have bad parenting moments, if you haven't...you're a liar (but I mean that in a good way)

Or is it something more?

Nurture?

I want my children to be independent, atleast as much as they can. I teach them to think and act on their own. When a problem arises, I let them figure it out, or help them find a solution. If they want to buy something they talk to the people and make the calls.

Or Nature?

But, honestly, they are a lot like me when I was young; Playing with cars in the middle of a four way intersection, because I wanted to. Exploring on my bike in California. Jumping off a bike jump into a kid because he wouldn't move, sluffing school *89 times in one semester*, etc.  The list goes on *and on and on and on if you ask the right people*.

Families are fun, kids are fun... all the good and bad that comes with it. I think our family and mice is what we make of it, why not make it fun. We decide really.

The end.


0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online