Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Personal Language. . .

You know how every family has certain phrases or words they use that have private or individual meaning?

Well apparently (my wife always says to me;  "when you say...It actually means...) I use many of those phrases and/or words and thought it might be useful for people so they can better understand me; 

Adventure: Anything dangerous, fun, exhausting, different, brings adrenaline or is fun.

Best Wife In The World: Lets me go on adventures, goes herself and lets me take the kids.

Vacation: Get ready for a workout, every minute we will be hiking, biking, swimming or exploring. There is no time to sit around doing nothing, (What some might call relaxation).

Relaxation: Biking, hiking, swimming or exploring.

Day Trip: Leave at 3 A.M., mountain bike, hike, canyoneer, or a combination, 20-100 miles (must do at least two separate trails or it is a waste)  then return home between 11-12 PM. Ex. Moab Hiking Trip: Leave 3 A.M. Hike; Delicate, Entire Primitive Loop, Professor Creek, Corona arch 27 miles total, home by midnight.

Easy Bike Ride: Aprrox. offroad 10 miles

Medium Bike Ride: 10-20 off road miles

Difficult Bike Ride: 20-100 off road miles

Adventure Bike Ride: No real map, I have only heard about the trail, and it is fairly long.

Yes: My response when asked if I would like to do an adventure ride.

Singletrack: Wide enough for one bike, what I like to ride.

Doubletrack: Wide enough for two bikes, it can ruin any ride very quickly.

Road Running: Satan's form of Exercise punishment

Trail Running: Not as bad as road running.

Wound: "Adventure Injury" received when being adventurous (it has many categories).

Scar: "Adventure Scar" - comes from good adventure wounds.

Whining/Complaining: What some do when they get an adventure injury - not tolerated unless a bone in sticking out of the skin then "some" is tolerated.

Someone I knew had that same problem and died the next day, so when you die, what should we do with your bike?: My response to whining or complaining about adventure injuries.

Some: Them - "oww this hurts (appropriate)" me - "That was a sweet fall and will leave an awesome adventure scar".

Celebrate: What we do when we get an adventure Injury

Doctor: 1- Who you go to for treatment of the best adventure injuries.
             2- Someone you go to when sick, so they can tell you "I don't know, it must be a virus."
Virus: Apparently anything that makes you sick with no explanation.

Into The Wild: My response when my wife asks me where I am going.

Cell Phone: The reason you go into the wild.

Camera: For documenting adventures.

The Average Man...: My response when asked about adventure related items. Ex; "Does your broken neck hurt?", "The average man would be screaming in pain, but I feel okay" /  "How was your ride?" "It was really good, but, "The average man" would have died."

Christmas tree hunt: 1-3 feet of snow, colder than 20  degrees, stiff wind blowing and everyone on snowshoes.

Walk Faster: My response to most people who have to walk with me. "A slow walk is no walk at all"  -President Gordon B. Hinckley to James E. Faust.

Blah, Blah, Blah: What I think when someone's story is boring or too long.

Reader's Digest Version: What I say when someone's story is too long.

We Are Leaving In Five Minutes: We really are leaving in five minutes, if you are not ready you will be left.








1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! This is so funny!! In many ways you're like my Dad! Especially the leaving in 5 minutes one, many of times I found myself walking to church, sunny, rain and or snow. 5 minutes is 5 minutes! Good post Gillings!

blogger templates | Make Money Online